||North Georgia's oldest road, which crosses the Highway U.S. 378 at this point, was originally an Indian Trail which led to their Trading Post in Augusta, Georgia.
Later, this important trade route was used by pioneer white settlers in transporting cotton and tobacco from Petersburg, Georgia, on the Broad River to Augusta, Georgia. The present highway to Augusta traverses the original Petersburg Road at several points.
Located on US 378/GA 43, 1.8 miles east of Lincolnton, Georgia
GHM 090-6, 1957