||Ray's Place, oldest community in Taliaferro County, was, in the late 1790's and early 1800's, a recreation center on Little River for the "livelier social set" of Washington. It was named for a Ray family from New York who lived in Washington for several years. In later years the famed Wrightsboro Road came through Raytown and the stage road from Double Wells (Barnett) to Washington. The parents and grandparents of Jefferson Davis owned plantations near Raytown in the early 1800's. Mrs. Davis, fleeing Federal forces in 1865, spent a night in Raytown.
Located at Double Wells and lower Mill Roads in Raytown, 2.6 miles east of Sharon
GHM 131-8, 1956