||This lot, originally sold by the Town Commissioners in 1804 to John Griffin, was later owned by Henry Anthony. This structure combines two separate houses. The back part probably dates from 1817; the front was moved by oxcart from 7 miles out in the County by Dr. Fielding Ficklen in the 1840's. In this house, Mrs. Jefferson Davis and her two children spend a few days awaiting President Davis' arrival after the fall of Richmond.
Dr. James Pettigrew Boyce; Co-founder and first President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky., married Elizabeth L. Ficklen here, Dec. 20, 1848.
Located on Liberty Street between South Alexander Avenue and Jefferson Street in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-13, 1957