||In the shade of a giant poplar tree which stood 200 feet East of this spot, on the 22nd of July, 1790, the Rev. John Springer was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry and installed Pastor of Smyrna, Providence and Washington churches. This was the first Presbyterian ordination held in Georgia. A Commission from the Presbytery of South Carolina conducted the service, with the Rev. Robert Hall preaching the ordination sermon and the Rev. Francis Cummins presiding and giving the charge.
The tree, always afterward known as The Presbyterian Poplar, stood for more than 150 years after the ordination.
Located on Poplar Drive/GA 17B, 0.4 miles south of junction with US 78/GA 10/44 or 0l2 miles north of junction with East Robert Toombs Avenue/US 78B/GA 10B
in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-18, 1958