||On this site the first Methodist church building in Georgia was erected in 1787. Daniel Grant and his son, Thomas, prosperous merchants of this area, were its builders.
Bishop Asbury often visited the Grants at their home nearby, on his trips through Georgia, and in the church here he held the second and third Methodist conferences in the State, in 1789 and 1790.
Thomas Grant was for many years a prominent Methodist layman in Georgia.
From US 78 and US 378 east of Washington,Georgia, follow US 78 2.2 miles, turn right on GA 80 and travel 1.4 miles to marker.
GHM 157-25, 1958