Return to Home Page       Real Estate
Things to See History Getting Here
Historical Markers

Sites of Former Structures

Grant's Meeting House
Heard's Fort (Early Georgia Capital)
Old Inn Site
Walnut Hill Academy
Wilkes County Academy

Historical Structures, Houses, Sites
Civil War
Revolutionary War
Historical Figures
Sites of Former Structures
Sites of Historical Events
Lincoln County Markers
Taliaferro County Markers

Heard's Fort (Early Georgia Capital)
Georgia Historical Marker Seal

  Heard's Fort was designated the Seat of Government for Georgia on February 3, 1780. The Executive Council met and transacted the affairs of the State in this temporary Capital until early in 1781. This designation was made by the Governor and Council in session at Augusta, and was necessary because of the danger that City might at any time be captured by British forces who were practically in control of the State. The Fort was a stockade built by Stephen Heard about 1774, when he settled in the area. Stephen Heard served as President of the Executive Council of Georgia, February 18, 1780-1781.

Located on GA 44, 1 mile south of junction with Sandtown Road

GHM 157-25, 1958

Next Marker