The Classic South is similar to the Historic Heartland in having an abundance of homes in the Gone With the Wind tradition, especially in the Washington-Wilkes area. Augusta was a major Confederate city, a rail junction and home to the second largest armament factory in the world.
Alexander H. Stephens State Historic Park (NRHP)
Crawfordville, GA 30631
Named for the Vice President of the Confederacy and Governor of Georgia, the park features Liberty Hall, Stephens’ home, and the Confederate Museum, which houses one of the finest collections of Confederate artifacts in Georgia.
I-20 east to Exit 148 go north on GA 22 for 2 miles
Magnolia Springs State Park / Camp Lawton (NRHP)
- Augusta Arsenal (NRHP)
2500 Walton Way
Now the Augusta State University campus, this land served as a U.S. arsenal for more than 128 years. During the war it manufactured a variety of ordnances for the Confederate Army. The original barracks, jail house, cannons and headquarters building remain on campus.
- Augusta-Richmond County Museum (NRHP)
540 Telfair Street
The building is the original site of Richmond Academy, the oldest chartered school south of Virginia. The Confederate display rooms feature uniforms, weaponry, photos, paintings and a mural depicting Sherman’s march through Georgia.
- Augusta Canal (NRHP)
This nine mile lone canal first opened in November, 1845, brining power and water to Augusta. Canal transportation, water power, railroad facilities and a central location safe from attack made Augusta the ideal location for the Confederacy’s Powder Works. The canal and tow path are a recreation area and a source of water for Augusta.
Exit 199 off I-20, west on GA 28 / Washington Road to the Canal Basin
- Confederate Memorial (NRHP)
1700 block of Broad Street
An 1878 monument erected by the Ladies’ memorial Association. The four statues on the lower section are generals Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Thomas R. R. Cobb, and William Henry Walker. A statue tops the column, representing all the men of Richmond County who died in the war.
- Confederate Powder Works Factory (NRHP)
1717 Goodrich Street
The towering chimney is the only permanent structure begun and completed by the Confederacy. Under operation the munitions factory was the second largest in the world. The chimney along with the two elaborate mills and city canal in the area are central features of an extensive riverside development.
- Magnolia Cemetery (NRHP)
702 Third Street
The fortified east wall is evidence of the troubled times. The patches in the wall where the cannons were once placed are still visible. The sixty-acre cemetery has more than 300 Confederate soldiers and 7 generals buried in the Confederate section.
- Medical College of Georgia (NRHP)
598 Telfair Street
Designed by Georgia architect Charles B. Cluskey, as the first medical school in Georgia. This Classical Greek structure during the Civil War served as a military hospital and resumed normal function at the end of the war.
- Presbyterian Church
632 Telfair Street
Organized in 1804, the present structure was built in 1809, as designed by Robert Mills, creator of the Washington Monument. During the Civil War the church and grounds were used as a military hospital and temporary detention camp for prisoners. Its pastor, an ardent secessionist, was the father of Woodrow Wilson, who as a boy saw Confederate President Davis and his retinue taken through Augusta en route to prison.
- Fort Gordon U.S. Army Signal Corps Museum
Avenue of the States and 36th Street
Fort Gordon, GA 30905
The collection includes signal-related artifacts pertaining to the military and dating back to 1860. This collection includes a Beardslee Magneto, a wigwag flag, a signal torch and lantern, a keying device and repeater, and other items.
Off GA 1 near Augusta
Millen, GA 30442
During the Civil War, this site was called Camp Lawton and was used as a prison camp because of its natural springs. Today, remnants of the 10,000-prisoner camp can still be found, and there is an exhibit describing the prison.
Located 5 miles north of Millen on US 25
Museum of Washington County (NRHP)
313 South Harris Street
Sandersville, GA 31082
The museum is in a restored late 19th-century jail and jailer’s residence which includes exhibits relating to the county’s history and industries. Civil War artifacts include a Confederate soldier’s trunk and a sofa upon which Gen. Sherman slept. President Davis moved through Sandersville two days before his capture on May 10, 1865 at Irwinville.
- Campbell-Jordan House
East Liberty Street
John Archibald Campbell, born here in 1811, was an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1853 until 1861, when he resigned to become the Assistant Secretary of War for the Confederacy.
- Courthouse / Downtown (NRHP)
US Hwy 78
Situated in the charming downtown square, several historical markers describe the last cabinet meeting of the Confederacy May 5, 1865.
- Holly Court (NRHP)
301 S. Alexander Avenue
In this house Mrs. Jefferson Davis and her two children spent a few days before moving south after the fall of Richmond.
- Robert Toombs House State Historic Site (NRHP)
216 East Robert Toombs Avenue
Washington, GA 30673
This Greek Revival house was home to successful planter and lawyer Robert Toombs, who served as a state legislator, U.S. Congressman and Senator prior to the Civil War. During the war he was Secretary of State for the Confederacy. He later directed troops as a Confederate general at the Battle of Atietam.
- Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum (NRHP)
308 East Robert Toombs Avenue
Washington, GA 30673
Exhibits in this Federal style house (ca. 1835) highlight the Confederacy and Reconstruction, as well as domestic art and local history. A guided tour is available to interpret memorabilia from the last Confederate cabinet meeting as Jefferson Davis fled South. The display includes Jefferson Davis’ camp chest, original photos, signed documents and Gen. Toombs’ uniform.
Burke County Museum (NRHP)
536 Liberty Street
Waynesboro, GA 30830
The museum occupies a house which was built in 858 as the home of J. D. Roberts. Civil War artifacts on display include cannon balls, shotguns that Gen. Sherman’s men used, and a historic photograph of the first group of men to leave Burke county to fight for the Confederacy.