||This County, created by an Act of the Legislature Dec. 24, 1825, is named for Colonel Benjamin Taliaferro, Revolutionary solider in Lee's Legion and a member of Congress from 1799 to 1802.
In this city stands Liberty Hall, now a State Shrine, beloved home in life and the last resting place of Alexander H. Stephens, affectionately known as "Little Alec" and "The Great Commoner."
Born in a log cabin in this county in 1812 and graduating from the University of Georgia in 1832, Mr. Stephens began his public career by serving six consecutive terms in the Georgia Legislature with distinction. He was elected to Congress in 1843 and served through 1859. He voted against secession in the Georgia Convention of 1861 but accepted his State's decision and was a delegate to the Montgomery convention at which the Confederacy was born. Elected Vice President of the Confederacy he served throughout the war, opposing many of the policies of President Jefferson Davis.
Mr. Stephens was elected to the United States Senate in 1866 but a seat was refused him. He was gain elected to Congress in 1873 and served until 1882, when he was elected Governor of Georgia, dying in office on March 4, 1883.
Among Taliaferro County's first officers were Sheriff Asa C. Alexander, Superior Court Clerk Marcus Andrews, Inferior Court Clerk Henry Perkins, Coroner Solom Harper and Surveyor Henry Stewart.
Located on Broad Street between Alexander and Monument Streets on the courthouse lawn in Crawfordville, Georgia
GHM 131-1, 1954