Return to Home Page       Real Estate
Things to See History Getting Here
Historical Markers

Taliaferro County Markers

The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail
Chivers Plantation & Store
The Church of the Purification - Locust Grove Academy
Confederate Gun Shop
Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute
Crawfordville Baptist Church
Crawfordville Methodist Church
Brig. Gen. Aaron Grier, Grave
Robert Grier, Astronomer
Indian Mounds
Richard Malcolm Johnston, Childhood Home
Roselle Mercier Montgomery
Old Tavern Site
Ray's Place Now Raytown
Raytown Methodist Church
South Liberty Presbyterian Church
Alexander Hamilton Stephens, Birthsite
Taliaferro County

Historical Structures, Houses, Sites
Civil War
Revolutionary War
Historical Figures
Sites of Former Structures
Sites of Historic Events
Lincoln County Markers

The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail
Georgia Historical Marker Seal

  The colonial road from Charleston to Vicksburg followed the highway at this point. The route, used by Col. Langdon Welch on his expedition to the Mississippi in 1698, was thereafter followed by British traders. Through Taliaferro Co., it followed the present route, Raytown to Crawfordville to Union Point, then Ogeechee River Old Town. Wm. Bartram, celebrated traveler, crossed here in 1773 with the party, headed by Col. Barnett, which surveyed 2,000,000 acres of land ceded by the Creeks and Cherokees to the Colony of Georgia. Lafayette followed this road on his American tour in 1825.

Located on Broad and Alexander Streets on the courthouse lawn in Crawfordville, Georgia

GHM 131-9. 1956

Next Marker