||This school, one of the finest of the early Georgia Academies, was chartered by the Legislature, Dec. 26, 1826. First trustees were Arhibald Gresham, R. Q. Dickinson, Wylie Womack, Hermon Mercer, Leonidas B. Mercer. Among the first masters were William D. Cowdrey and Simpson Fouche, outstanding classical scholars. The name was officially changed to Stephens High School in 1886 to honor Alexander Stephens and a new building was erected. That building burned in 1907 and was replaced by another. In 1920 it became Alexander Stephens Institute, a county high school. In 1955 the school moved to a new site.
Located at Memorial Drive across from Liberty Hall in Crawfordville, Georgia
GHM 131-4, 1956