||Wilkes County, an original county, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777, from Creek and Cherokee Cessions of June 1, 1773. At first, it contained all of Oglethorpe, Elbert, Lincoln and parts of Taliaferro, Hart, Warren and Madison Counties. It was named for John Wilkes (1727-1797), English politician and publicist, who strenuously opposed measures leading to war with the colonies. First County Officers were: John Dooly, Sheriff, comm. Feb. 9, 1778; Samuel Creswell, Surveyor, comm. Feb. 18, 1783; Benjamin Catching, Clk. of Sup. and Inf. Cts, comm. Jan. 2, 1785; Howell Jarrett, Coroner, comm. 1790.
Located on Court Street at the Public Square on the courthouse lawn in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-11, 1956