|In the 1780's Felix and William Gilbert, Virginians, camped in a beautiful grove here and were so pleased with the scenery that they returned later to take land grants. In 1808 they erected the brick portion of this house, one of the oldest brick structures north of Augusta. Their descendants are the only families who have occupied it. The burial grounds on the property attest the continuity of the family for more than 150 years.
The Alexanders, descendants of the Gilberts, served with distinction in the War Between the States. Porter Alexander, who lived here, was a Brigadier General of Artillery in the Confederate Army.
Located on Alexander Drive between North Alexander Avenue and Poplar Drive in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-3, 1953