||This was the home of Dr. Henry Allen Tupper, grandfather of the wife of General George Marshall, former U S Army Chief of Staff, U. S. Secretary of State and originator of the Marshall Plan. Dr. Tupper was pastor of the Baptist church here for 20 years, but never accepted one penny of salary, as he was already wealthy. The 18 white columns on all four sides and the graceful, divided stairway make the house outstanding architecturally.
In ante-bellum days the daylight basement was used as a kitchen and office.
Located on West Robert Toombs Avenue/US 78B and Allison Street in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-1, 1953