||The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope's Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 1/2 miles Northeast of Old Baker's Ferry on Broad River. When Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County, it left most of the church members in Wilkes County, so the church was moved south into Wilkes and located about 2 miles from Broad river on property owned by John Landrum adjoining his homeplace on the east side of Baker's Ferry Road. It was in this location that it received its name, in honor of Rev. Henry Pope who supplied much of the timber for the building. Bishop Asbury preached the Dedication Sermon there in 1805. In 1852 the church was again moved about 2 miles southeast to its present location. In 1871 Trustees of the church were Benjamin W. Fortson, M. T. Cash, Augustus A. Neal and James W. Boyd. A second building was constructed here in 1897 in which two stained glass windows were installed as a memorial to Benjamin Winn Fortson and his wife Hannah Rebecca Ogilvie by their children. The Dedication Sermon was preached by Lundye Harris in 1898. This building, severely damaged by a windstorm, was replaced in 1957 by the present building.
From Tignall, travel 3.2 miles north on GA 17, turn right and follow road 3.8 miles, turn right at stone marker and follow road 0.2 miles to marker and church.
Tignall United Methodist Charge