||This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior Court judge, President of the Georgia Senate in 1811, 1817-22, and as Governor of Georgia from Oct. 24 to No. 5, 1819. Both are buried here.
W. H. T. Walker, Confederate General killed in the Battle of Atlanta, was a descendent of Sir John Talbot.
The Presbyterians moved to a new building in Washington in 1825.
From US 78 and US 378/GA 47 east of Washington, Georgia, follow US 378/GA 47 3.5 miles to marker and church.
GHM 157-7, 1958