Return to Home Page       Real Estate
Things to See History Getting Here
Historical Markers

Historical Structures, Houses, & Sites
Campbell Home
The Cedars
Historic Dugas Home
First Methodist Church
Fishing Creek Baptist Church
Fort Washington Park
Gilbert-Alexander House
Home of Sarah Hillhouse
Holly Court
Independence United Methodist Church
Jesse Mercer's Home
Phillips Mills Baptist Church
Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church
Rock Methodist Church Wilkes County
Smyrna Church
Smyrna Churchyard
Home of Robert Toombs
The Tupper House
Washington Presbyterian Church
Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum
Wilkes County

Civil War
Revolutionary War
Historical Figures
Sites of Former Structures
Sites of Historical Events
Lincoln County Markers
Taliaferro County Markers

Holly Court
Georgia Historical Marker Seal

  This lot, originally sold by the Town Commissioners in 1804 to John Griffin, was later owned by Henry Anthony. This structure combines two separate houses. The back part probably dates from 1817; the front was moved by oxcart from 7 miles out in the County by Dr. Fielding Ficklen in the 1840's. In this house, Mrs. Jefferson Davis and her two children spend a few days awaiting President Davis' arrival after the fall of Richmond.

Dr. James Pettigrew Boyce; Co-founder and first President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky., married Elizabeth L. Ficklen here, Dec. 20, 1848.

Located on Liberty Street between South Alexander Avenue and Jefferson Street in Washington, Georgia

GHM 157-13, 1957

Next Marker