|This home was built by Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees from Santo Domingo, in the early 1790's. Here, until 1810, Mrs. Dugas conducted the Boarding School for Select Young Ladies which was attended by the daughters of many of Georgia's outstanding early settlers. In this home was born Louis Alexander Dugas (1806-98) who became one of the State's most distinguished physicians and surgeons. Educated at home, he studied medicine under Dr. John Dent, later was graduated from the University of Maryland, and after spending some time in Europe as a student returned to settle in Augusta, Georgia. A founder of the Medical College of Georgia, Dr. Dugas was for many years Professor of Surgery there. He was President of the Medical Society of Augusta and of the Medical Association of Georgia, and from 1851 to 1858 edited the Southern Medical and Surgical Journal. During the War Between the States he served as Volunteer and Consulting Surgeon of Military Hospitals.
In later years this home was occupied by Dr. Thomas Dunwoody, distinguished Presbyterian minister, pastor of the Washington Presbyterian Church.
Located on East Robert Toombs Avenue across from Grove Street in Washington, Georgia
GHM 157-2, 1961